Cover story: On the 27th of August, 2015 the train from Bialystok reached Kaunas. It has been the first train arriving from Poland since 1939 which reached Lithuania directly without changing its track.
Meanwhile, Lithuanian and Polish railway companies continued to develop their cooperation. In mid-August 2015 a meeting took place, which discussed the possibility of expanding freight service and the Rail Baltica project.
JSC “Lithuanian Railways” opened its representative office in Kazakhstan. This is another successful example of cooperation between Lithuania and Kazakhstan, which had received an impetus from the meeting of the presidents of these countries in 2011.
Rail traffic between Estonia and Russia has been renewed – St. Petersburg and Moscow can now be reached from Tallinn.
Latvian Railways contribute to the development of the port of Riga. Two EU-funded projects will modernize the port’s rail infrastructure and will pave a new track which will allow freight trains to bypass the center of Riga.
The magazine also has an article by Fritz Shado about the company’s “Stadler” produced trains for Belarus and their technical data.
“Geležinkelio tiesimo centras” Ltd. purchased a new universal rail welding machine from the Austrian company Plasser & Theurer. This is the first facility of its kind not only in Lithuania, but also in the Baltic countries.
The new issue also has a historical text about Ventspils railway junction: its emergence and development throughout the 20th century.
2015 marked the 112th anniversary, when trains started to ride regularly on the narrow-gauge Gulbene – Alūksne strip. More information about the anniversary and Livonia’s railway system you will find in the magazine’s article.
The magazine can be purchased in Russian and Lithuanian languages.